A Wonderful Opportunity to make a Difference in the Lives of Others!
Zidisha.org will give the first 100 participating members of 29 Gifts Community $10 each to help others help themselves! Here’s how:
Zidisha.org is a nonprofit that lets ordinary web users fund microloans for disadvantaged individuals in Africa. The loans allow the individuals to start small businesses to provide higher income for their families. Once repaid the loan funds are returned to lenders who may in turn fund new individuals of their choice. What makes Zidisha unique is that the borrowers themselves post their loan applications and communicate directly with lenders.
Who are the individuals you can help on Zidisha.org? One typical Zidisha borrower, Bineta Sarr, supports an unemployed husband and three children independently with her small clothing sewing business in Senegal, West Africa. Before she received her Zidisha loan, she was only able to work part-time as she lacked the cash reserves necessary to buy the equipment and materials needed for large-scale production. She was able to raise the necessary funds through Zidisha, thanks to the generosity of ordinary web users who contributed $10 or $20 each to fund her loan. Now she has her own clothing boutique and has employed other staff to help continue to grow her business. She is using her increased earnings to pay for her children’s education, including college for her oldest child. You may read more about Bineta Sarr here.
One of the current applicants, Faith Wanjira, has a small shop in a famine-stricken village in rural Kenya that Zidisha director Julia Kurnia visited last year. She is trying to raise $330 to purchase a stock of food items such as rice, flour and cooking oil to retail in the village. This would allow her to earn money to keep her daughter in school (a rarety in Kenya where the majority of families cannot afford to keep their kids in school for more than a few years) and also improve food security in the village. Lenders can contribute as little as a dollar to help fund the loan and can reuse the repayment funds returned to them to relend to other borrowers or withdraw as cash if they prefer. You may view Faith’s loan application here.
Here's how YOU can help:
1. Go to the zidisha.org website and create a free lender account, using the “New Account” link under the User Login box.
2. Then just leave a comment on this thread with your Zidisha account username. No purchase is necessary to participate, but you must be a member of the 29 Gifts Community Network (i.e. have a profile on this site) in order to participate. Sign up here free if you're not a member already.
3. Zidisha will credit your Zidisha account with a $10 balance which you may use to help fund any open loan application you choose on the zidisha.org website. (Offer valid for the first 100 participants only.)
4. Once the loans are fully funded, they will be disbursed to the borrowers who then repay the loans in monthly installments. You may use these repaid funds to lend in turn to other needy entrepreneurs on the Zidisha website, or you may withdraw the repaid funds to a US bank or PayPal account.
5. We would request that 29 Gifts members who participate in this offer share their thoughts and experiences regarding Zidisha with others. It is our hope that they will find the experience a positive one and will be able to recommend Zidisha to others, so that we are able to grow our community of lenders, bringing the chance to start life-changing small businesses to many more disadvantaged entrepreneurs.
Questions? Please feel free to email Zidisha director Julia Kurnia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It takes so little to make a real difference in someone's life. Join our lender community at Zidisha.org
to make this dream a reality.